low-end octane2? (was: Re: [rescue] octane question)

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Mon Jan 21 16:06:34 CST 2002

> > And yet CURRENT mac owners are abandoning the platform for windows.
> > My aunt(59 years old) bought a mac 4 years ago.  Her friends use
> > windows PCs.  She went out and bought a PC to replace the mac because
>
> Are you kidding?  I know of *no* long-term Mac users that would even
> consider buying a PC.  Mac users are typically very loyal.

I was a long-term Mac user, and I switched to a PC.  Why?  The IIfx
and A/UX.  I switched to a PC so I could run 386BSD, but that had
problems, lots of fighting, big egos, and (in the early days) some
of the drivers cost extra, so I switched to Linux.  I've been happy
with Linux.  I've tried *BSD at various times, but the installation
in the distributions was lacking (I really didn't care for the way
installation was an "all or nothing" situation).  I also didn't
care for having to jump around different directories and checking
different files to see what the different kernel options did.  I
like the xconfig option to configure a new Linux kernel.

I was planning to switch to Tru64 for my main platform, but HPaq
is killing it, so that's out (and HP/UX, since I'm not going to
use the less advanced replacement for Tru64), so I'll probably
keep with Linux for now.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net