low-end octane2? (was: Re: [rescue] octane question)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Jan 21 10:19:39 CST 2002

> Its a sad day.  But fewer and fewer of the general populace will get
> out of M$ as the years go by.  I'm glad I started w/ real
> computers(Macs).

My first was an Apple ][e.  Very fine computer - especially with that
OrangeMicro graphics/printer card in it, and the 720k <gasp> RAM upgrade.
That thing was still going strong in 1996 when my mother bought the Quadra
6500 (I think).  We had stockpiles of parts for it, as the company my dad
worked(s) for had a metric buttload that they retired all at the same time.
We must've had a total of about 20 working ][es at one point.

> Dude... the IRIX install is NOT THAT HARD.  Its a fucking MENU!!! I
> had more trouble installing solaris the first time.  SGIs flat out
> RULE.  The only thing I won't use them for are public internet
> servers.  For those we have sparcs and solaris.

Agreed, totally.  But your average user, even a clued one, can't make heads
or tails of it - "Text?  Plain background?  No mouse pointer?  AUUUGH!"
Once you've done it a few times, things become automatic...

> relatively slow R3k indigo is QUITE snappy under IRIX.  I can't
> imagine why people would want/need to do the linux/bsd thing for sgis
> as IRIX is Just That Good(TM).

So I'm not the only one that sees 33Mhz as useful :)  I love these things -
I have three awaiting restoration, missing RAM, HD, keyboards - but
otherwise comlplete.  Two have Entry graphics, but one has something better.
I've forgotten what it was - it's been that long since I looked at it.

Kurt