low-end octane2? (was: Re: [rescue] octane question)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Jan 21 09:43:01 CST 2002

> > They havn't yet.  Why would they?  IRIX install is the most painfull
> > software install I've ever met, and that's saying something.
> > Nick
>
> Some of the most graphical computers I've seen, and its still a
> text-mode install.  Pfeh.

Poop.  If it was easy, everyone would be able to do it.  MickeySoft made OS
installation easy, removed server admin from thee realm of the Black Arts,
and decreased the value of sysadmins everywhere.

I, for one, am glad to see Irix installs be a PITA.  I don't mind all that
much, and it increases my value as an employee.   SGI, for a lot of people,
is still a Black Art surrounded by blue smoke and odd incantations -
"xio...mips...mcad...CROSSBAR!!!!"  :)

>From a user's standpoint, it's very friendly.  And once you get it up and
running, it's easy to admin.  But since the (overwheleming) majority of the
population faints at the sight of a command line - they gotta pay someone to
to do the installs...

Kurt