low-end octane2? (was: Re: [rescue] octane question)

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Mon Jan 21 00:02:00 CST 2002

roosmcd at dds.nl wrote:

> >   Don't ask...just BUY!  If you don't want one for yourself, buy one
> > for ME! ;)
>
> http://www.sgievents.com/developer2002/
>
>  Quote:
> "The grand-prize winner, as decided by attendees, will receive an SGI next-
> generation high-performance, high-bandwidth IRIX visual workstation."
>
>  There is going to be a new workstation, so prices are expected to drop. I was
> also thinking about buying an Octane, but am going to wait for a while to see
> what happens.

(My head is probably going to be served on a silverplate after this but
I think you all guys should know...)

I spoke with a SGI Technical Engineer last Friday about our upcoming
Octane2 deals and he said "Don't buy an Octane2 until February".
Ofcourse I asked him why, and he replied "We're releasing a new
workstation". I ended up talking for about an hour and got many many
NDA-facts about this thingie. I don't know how much info I can give you,
but the name will be "FUEL" and it's winered/purple colored, almost like
the Indigo2. Despite it's ATX-casing, it still got some sexy plastics.
:-)
And yes, it's going to be CHEAP. Far most bang-for-the-buck SGI has
brought up in years IMHO...
Look out for January 29:th.

/Bjorn