[rescue] Re: [SunHELP] Solaris 9, First thoughts

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Sun Jan 20 14:00:20 CST 2002

On Sun, 2002-01-20 at 11:52, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On January 20, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > I don't work for Sun, but I do work on GNOME.
>
>   Can you make it FASTER?

No, I can't.  :-(  I would seriously love for it to be faster, but as
they say, I can't code my way out of a wet paper bag.

> [no, I'm not trying to give you shit...I'm just frustrated because I'd
> like to actually *run* it, but I won't put Linux on my desktop just to
> be able to!]

GNOME 2 should be usable on Solaris, since we've now got LOTS of solaris
people running/developing it.  Most of them bitch that Solaris is slow,
though.  No, wait, I take that back.  They've all got Ultra 10s on their
desktop, so it's not so much that Solaris is slow as it is that their
graphics cards are DOG-ASS SLOW.

While I'm thinking of it, anybody know if one could get a nvidia
GeForce2MX PCI card, put it into a Solaris SPARC machine, install
XFree86, and have it work?  Anybody want to try (my only "modern" SPARC
is an Ultra1)?
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.