[rescue] Re: [SunHELP] Solaris 9, First thoughts

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Sun Jan 20 12:44:07 CST 2002

On Sat, 2002-01-19 at 12:12, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On January 19, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
> > > I still wasn't impressed. I don't really like Gnome on Linux or FreeBSD,
> > > and I found it pretty pokey on Sol 9. It behaved well, it just felt slow
> > > and cumbersome. ('Course I installed it on my trusty dual-CPU SPARC20,
> > > not on a 900MHz box...)
> >
> > GNOME feels like mud on a fairly fast Pentium crate.
>
>   Inexperienced programmers with C++ compilers mean HUGE, SLOW CODE.

Almost none of GNOME is written in C++.  There are lots of bindings for
C++, guile, python, and some other languages, but the core components
are almost exclusively C.  If you're running Nautilus, especially on
Solaris, turn it off for a really nice speed boost.  Cool eyecandy, but
not fast enough for you folks yet.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.