[rescue] octane question

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sat Jan 19 23:56:41 CST 2002

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 12:26:02AM -0500, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > Yeah, I know.  But I would argue that Odo was a solid, i.e. he wasn't
> hollow,
> > and thus would be best simulated using a solid system like blobby
> particles.
> >

> Hmmm.  While I agree, from a representational standpoint, I think that Odo
> was actually liquid.  Liquid, that was able to solidify from time to time -
> as water freezes.  I'd look to reinforce this argument by pointing out that
> Odo "slept" in a bucket...

Even though I lack the physics understanding to effectively argue this, I
would argue that liquids are solids also, just solids with a lower viscosity.
Feel free physics people to step in and humble me.

>From a computer graphics point of view, solids are usually items that
consist of more than just a surface, which is important for volumetric
rendering and subsurface scattering, and probably other things that don't
come to mind.

>From a simulation point of view, you, me, and the desk would more or less
be called rigid with joints, whereas Odo would require a more complex
simulation system, perhaps a particle system.  Of course, these are just
simulations, not reality.  After all, I call you, me and the desk jointed
rigid objects, but you and me have a lot of fluids to us, and we squish in
rather non rigid ways, and if you hit the desk hard enough (or heat it enough)
it ceases to be rigid as well.

We could take an existentialist view here now, but I think I will spare
everyone my bumblings at doing that.

--
Joshua D. Boyd