[rescue] octane question

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sat Jan 19 22:58:45 CST 2002

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 11:42:25PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On January 19, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > > Josh... hurry up and get into the real world (ie graduate) before you
> > > drive us insane.
> >
> > I'm hurrying, i'm hurrying.  I plan to graduate in mid-december.  I'm am
> > however contemplating going back immediately for a math degree, followed by
> > a PhD in animation technology, imaging technology, or [physics|chemistry|
> > biology] simulation.  Depends in part on which school accepts me.  I'm
> > not so sure about the math degree yet.  Just something I've been kicking
> > around.
>
>   You know, getting on with *life* might be a good idea at some
> point. ;)

A life, what is that?  I happen to like coding, and I also happen to like
tearing about things, especially sentences, phrases, and terminologies
(because nobody cares if I put them back together again, and it is in many
ways similar to looking at solving problems).  I also happen to like
spending time with other people (I've thrown a number of dinner parties and
pool parties over the past year), but not too much time with most of them.

I don't always have a good feel for when to stop though.  Any posible
marriage prospects should be able to tolerate that, along with a number
of other minor anti-social tendencies.

> > Getting married sometime in there also might be a good idea.  We
> > shall see if it is.
>
>   [jealousy]

Well, you just have to meet the right person.  I don't know if I have, but I
hope so.  We shall see.  If not, well, I still think that getting married
somewhere in "there" (insert any number of amorpheous future plans here) is
a good idea, but the execution would be a lot harder.

She laughs pleasantly when I refer to clothing design as a process of getting
an idea of what you want to make, and figuring out how to engineer the tendcies
of foldable/bendable planes (since I view fabric as a plane that needs to be
cut and joined with other planes) to get what you want.  Plus, she's cute.
Very.  (And before anyone asks, the sister is very young and has many armed
older brothers with armed close friends).

I supose I could skip the whole rest of school thing, lock myself in a closet
for six months, and build a company around what I come out with, but I'm not
sure I'm disciplined enough to actually come out with much, and in general I
just don't have the guts to pull a stunt like that, at least not at this time.

--
Joshua D. Boyd