[rescue] Re: [SunHELP] Solaris 9, First thoughts

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sat Jan 19 22:48:11 CST 2002

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 11:37:22PM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> Lisp is slow.  But it shouldn't matter since the best use is as a
> scripting language on top of a faster, compiled runtime, such as
> emacs.  As long as the core routines are fast, you're ok.

Lisp doesn't have to be slow if it is compiled and has garbage collection and
type safety turned off.  The idea that lisp is slow comes from a time when
people always interpretted it.  Lisp doesn't have to be any slower than any
language, but usually it is in our best interest to allow it to be slower.

--
Joshua D. Boyd