[rescue] octane question

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sat Jan 19 22:23:23 CST 2002

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 11:17:18PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

> > >   Ahh, tailored toward shapeshifters, eh?
> >
> > Well, that depends on whether or not you consider fluids to be solid or not.
> > I think of solid as meaning not hollow.
> >
> > Anyway, I think subdivision surfaces can be considered solid, but they still
> > aren't really usefull from a mechanical engineering perspective.
>
>   JOSHUA.  Log out.  Go watch some TV.  That was a Deep Space 9
> reference.

Yeah, I know.  But I would argue that Odo was a solid, i.e. he wasn't hollow,
and thus would be best simulated using a solid system like blobby particles.

Of course, I bet that when they rendered Odo, they used something something
like the marching cubes algorithm to turn his representation into a list
of polygons.

--
Joshua D. Boyd