[rescue] Re: [SunHELP] Solaris 9, First thoughts

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Jan 19 21:15:20 CST 2002

On January 19, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >   Inexperienced programmers with C++ compilers mean HUGE, SLOW CODE.
>
> GNOME is 100% C.  Well, almost.  Some pieces use extensive guile, some
> extensive librep (Sawfish for instance), etc.  Gnome 1.0 was reasonably
> fast.  CORBA through ORBit is being use a lot more now.  I don't know how

  This surprises me very, very much...it's SO huge and SO slow, I
don't know how ANYONE can write C code like that.  It's doing a lot,
but it's not like it's all THAT much.

> much this effects things.  I would expect that Sawfish would be pretty slow
> since it is all interpretted lisp, but it actually seems to be one of the
> faster/better pieces.

  Years ago on my first SPARC, a Sun4/110, I used a window manager
called GWM.  This was something like 1991.  I recently rediscovered
it, and I now have it running on my I^2.  It is blindingly fast and
really cool.  It's built around a LISP dialect called WOOL.  It's no
longer being maintained, but it works very well in its current
release.  I'd love to pick it up and start maintaining it but I my
brain doesn't work in a way that's compatible with LISP.  I hope to
change that eventually, though.

  See http://koala.ilog.fr/gwm/.

       -Dave

--