[rescue] Re: [SunHELP] Solaris 9, First thoughts

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Sat Jan 19 20:08:19 CST 2002

> > Developers should be forced to work on a machine that has 1/10th the speed
> > and 1/4 the ram of the intended (or current) platform.   Imagine how much better
> > mozilla would be if it was developed for an SS5-110 or a PI-133 with no more than 64
> > megs.
> > The problem is people code slow, sloppy, ineficcient code because it runs fine on
> > the typical
> > developer machine (which is almost always better/faster than the typical users
> > machine).
>
> The problem there is you'll need to give the programmers a super-fast
> cross-compile machine on which they can only build, never run and test,
> their programs (and of course at the same time make it easy for them to
> build on the fast machine, and test on the slow machine).

We do the same type of thing by giving the developers decent machines,
but also giving them a "test" machine that's a duplicate of their
customers' machines. Easier for us because a customer's machine is
fairly predictable (Navy office). "One" could do this by forcing
developers to troubleshoot/test their work on a normal-to-slow machine.
I bet this is something that *some* developers *don't* have to do... ;)

--
Steve Sandau
ssandau at bath.tmac.com