[rescue] Re: [SunHELP] Solaris 9, First thoughts

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sat Jan 19 17:37:58 CST 2002

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 06:24:13PM -0500, Kevin Loch wrote:
> Developers should be forced to work on a machine that has 1/10th the speed
> and 1/4 the ram of the intended (or current) platform.   Imagine how much better
> mozilla would be if it was developed for an SS5-110 or a PI-133 with no more than 64
> megs.
> The problem is people code slow, sloppy, ineficcient code because it runs fine on
> the typical
> developer machine (which is almost always better/faster than the typical users
> machine).

For the longest time, Be engineers were forced to work on machine with 16megs
of ram.

The problem is that compiling tends to be a just plain hard task.  So, you want
your compiler to run faster so that your valuable programmers are idleing
waiting for compiles.  But giving them the faster box then leads to sloppy
code.  The real answer is to set up a remote compile system, where when I
hit build on my IDE the actually compile takes places on the monstrous alpha
cluster down the hall.

Of course, we then get into facing the extra load placed on systems by
debuggers, but it isn't that bad compared to the compilers.  Just means
that the code must be extra lean to get decent performance out of it on
a machine with a debuger and debugging symbols.

--
Joshua D. Boyd