[rescue] Re: [SunHELP] Solaris 9, First thoughts

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sat Jan 19 17:05:12 CST 2002

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 03:12:32PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On January 19, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
> > > I still wasn't impressed. I don't really like Gnome on Linux or FreeBSD,
> > > and I found it pretty pokey on Sol 9. It behaved well, it just felt slow
> > > and cumbersome. ('Course I installed it on my trusty dual-CPU SPARC20,
> > > not on a 900MHz box...)
> >
> > GNOME feels like mud on a fairly fast Pentium crate.
>
>   Inexperienced programmers with C++ compilers mean HUGE, SLOW CODE.

GNOME is 100% C.  Well, almost.  Some pieces use extensive guile, some
extensive librep (Sawfish for instance), etc.  Gnome 1.0 was reasonably
fast.  CORBA through ORBit is being use a lot more now.  I don't know how
much this effects things.  I would expect that Sawfish would be pretty slow
since it is all interpretted lisp, but it actually seems to be one of the
faster/better pieces.

--
Joshua D. Boyd