[rescue] Re: [SunHELP] Solaris 9, First thoughts

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Sat Jan 19 14:01:06 CST 2002

> Bill, you say in your review,
>
> "Now that CDE is the *only* option, what about those of us who prefer
> a different window manager?  (I prefer WindowMaker)."
>
> Does the dtlogin -disable stuff not work for you?

doesn't that shut down the dtlogin service?  personally it doesn't make a
difference to me since i only ever log out to reboot. :)  but what about
in a situation where you still want the dtlogin service but want to offer
other choices for window managers? (ie: a lab)

hmmm, poke around in /usr/dt and you just may find a config file that would
be of interest.  maybe i'll do that if i find time.

and while i have your attention let me comment:

   Also, why isnt
   there an option to use SVM during install, to setup RAID volumes, etc?
   I hate to say it, but even Red Hat Linux has this capability, as does
   MacOS X.  Surely an operating system designed for everything from the
   desktop to the mainframe-class system can have the same capabilities
   as one designed for desktop microcomputers.

because people like me would be out of a job if just ANYBODY could setup RAID
volumes. :)

   Sun's distributing Netscape 6 on their web page, but still shipping NS4 with
   Solaris.

good.  i'm still not impressed with NS6.  although i haven't used it in a
while.  maybe it's time to take a look again.  although so far i'm pretty
happy with mozilla, just can't wait till it's slightly more stable and quite
a bit faster.  i wonder if i can build it with Forte.  hmmmmm.

cheers,

-brian