[rescue] Re: [SunHELP] Solaris 9, First thoughts

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Sat Jan 19 13:59:32 CST 2002

Mike Nicewonger wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, you wrote:
> > Bill, you say in your review,
> >
> > "Now that CDE is the *only* option, what about those of us who prefer
> > a different window manager?  (I prefer WindowMaker)."
> >
> > Does the dtlogin -disable stuff not work for you?
> >
> And what happened to the claim that Sol 9 was going to have GNOME [shudder] as
> a desktop choice instead of OpenWin?

When I installed Sol 9 a while back (right when the install server image
was available, but not install CD images), Gnome was still beta. I had
to download it separately. After installation, it *did* appear as an
alternate choice to CDE on the GUI login screen.

I still wasn't impressed. I don't really like Gnome on Linux or FreeBSD,
and I found it pretty pokey on Sol 9. It behaved well, it just felt slow
and cumbersome. ('Course I installed it on my trusty dual-CPU SPARC20,
not on a 900MHz box...)

--
Steve Sandau
ssandau at bath.tmac.com