[rescue] MOSIX

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri Jan 18 11:38:30 CST 2002

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 09:51:09AM -0500, Loomis, Rip wrote:

> What's the lowest-end system(s) that anyone here has used to run
> a database-backed website with a measurable sustained load?
> I'll define measurable as an estimated average of > 1 dynamic page
> view per minute during "normal working hours"--but feel free to
> re-define measurable as it suits you.

I would define 1 or 2 page views per minute as being pretty tiny load.

You could run it on a Sparc 1+ with 32MB RAM easily - as long as you
don't use perl, which sucks up CPU like you wouldn't believe on older
systems.

Look into PHP and use PostgreSQL if at all possible.  With this combo
you could serve say 30 pages per minute on the abovementioned Sparc.

> It's *possible* to run the oogly Slashdot code plus MySQL on a P66
> with 32MB of RAM...but it's not sustainable and will cause users
> to hunt you down like a dog.

Slash + MySQL = major suckage.  They should revoke CmdrTaco's CS degree.

./patrick