[rescue] octane question

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jan 18 10:03:41 CST 2002

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 10:49:41AM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 10:37:25AM -0500, Big Endian wrote:
> > >Well, I know the SI is a single card.  I though the Octane had only 3 XIO
> > >slots, but I probably am grossly mistaken.  I know that one of the V
> > >graphics
> > >boards is dual headed, and that the V8 and V12 have a hardware accumulation
> > >buffer (previously to have one of these you needed an Onyx grade machine or
> > >a Voodoo5).
> >
> > Nope, 4 XIO slots.  Which V card is dual head?  I hadn't heard this.
> > Don't all IMPACT and beyond have hardware accumulation buffers?
>
> The agreement on a recent c.g.a.opengl thread was that it was just the onyxes,
> V8 and V12 from SGI.  I've never had access to an IMPACT to test since at
> school we just have an O2 and an Onyx in the CS department.  I think
> meteorology has an Indy also.

Oops, I forgot to answer which is the dual head board.  OK, it is the V12 with
the dual chanel option.  The V12 takes up 2 xio slots (as do all the V
options).  So you could have a V12dual head and a pair of SIs for triple
headed action.

The V options look like they really kick but.  Finally you can get decent
amounts of texture ram with them.  But, they are incompatible with the
personal video option, so you have to get the DMpro2 option which is SDI
only.  Which is to say that even if you can afford a V option, you aren't
going to be able to afford the peripherals needed to allow it to substitute
for an O2.  ;(.

It does do HD and 10, 12, and 16 bit graphics though.  I wish more people
would do that.

--
Joshua D. Boyd