[rescue] octane question

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jan 18 09:31:49 CST 2002

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 11:55:13PM -0500, s at avoidant.org wrote:
>Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
>>What I really want to get away from with my system is the idea that palm
>>have about how data is entered. You enter it at the bottom of the screen in a
>>special area, and it is essentially like you are using a keyboard, you apps
>>can't tell the difference.

> Hrm, when the Agenda first came out, that's how the hwr worked. You
> write where you want it to go. There were a lot of complaints from palm
> users, though, about the machine not being able to tell the difference
> between mouse/cursor use and hwr strokes, so the hwr was moved to the
> keyboard area like a palm. Let me see if I can find the source code for
> the old hwr system. Maybe you want to have a look.

I haven't totally decided how I'm going to do things.  I'm leaning towards
having the user flip the pen around when they want to mouse.  Remeber, I'm
talking about a regular computer (like an I2 dual head SI) hooked to a wacom,
not a handheld unit, so the constraints and issues are significantlt different,
like I have a real keyboard that can be used somehow (perhaps for hotkeys), I
have a pen with two ends and at least one button.  And most likely I will also
have a regular mouse.

--
Joshua D. Boyd