[rescue] octane question

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jan 18 08:44:38 CST 2002

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 01:02:05AM -0500, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> not right now.  maybe if i weren't getting a new vehicle i might have
> been able to.  it's only like $4K, and i could probably wing an
> educational discount, so possibly even less.  but still, money needs to
> go to new Xterra instead of Maya license (shame that)

$4k?!?  My my my prices have dropped a lot recently.  When Maya first came out
the cheapest version was $7k, and the complete version was $17k.

> >Maya looks like an excelent animation program, and Alias/Wavefront has
> >always
> >been admired for being among the best for modellers.

> i had used a copy of Maya 2 on a PC that was way underpowered for the
> task, and it was quite painful to use, but the little bit of it i did
> try out was very impressive.

You know what I always appreciated?  Lightwave 3D 5.0 still ran decently on a
486.  No version of 3DS Max ever ran decently on a 486.  But, much as I love
Lightwave, it is probably time to get over it.  Unless 6 is a lot different
from what I expect, Lightwave just doesn't cut it for complex, lengthy
animation.  While you might hear that Jimmy Neutron was done in Lightwave,
what you often won't hear is that the character animation was done in a
companion program called Messiah:Studio.

--
Joshua D. Boyd