[rescue] FS/FT: RS/6000 42T

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at cats.ucsc.edu
Thu Jan 17 21:46:35 CST 2002

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Julius Sridhar wrote:

> You mean the SGI Irisvision MCA?  Not just a large part, those boards were
> completely designed and fabbed by SGI, labelled by IBM, and sold by IBM.
> They will also work in PS/2's.  I am in the process of writing an XFree86
> Server for them.  There are better cards out there for RS/6000's, but not
> for PS/2's.

These boards are pretty much equivalent to the Personal Iris 24bit
Graphics boards (w/o the turbo option). The same GE/RE combo... IBM was
actually one of the few licesees of the GL graphics library. I used to
have an R6K/520 with one of these boards, but AIX 3.5 (I think) would not
run X at 24bpp, just 8bpp depths... which was a waste.