[rescue] octane question

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jan 17 16:27:10 CST 2002

On January 17, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> >   Of course, I'm SURE we're all using FDDI here...I'm sure there's
> > nobody on this list that would choose the "vastly techinically
> > inferior but more strongly marketed" technology over the "newer,
> > faster, better, but less understood and less heavily marketed"
> > technology....the logical extension of which being Microsoft
> > products. ;)
>
> Um, it's more like there are 4 people in Lancaster PA who know what
> FDDI is - me, Joshua Boyd, and the two guys who know how to run fiber
> for a living.
>
> Comparing Bob Metcalfe to Bill Gates is kind of harsh iMHO.

  Oh, it's definitely a bit harsh...but not TOO harsh.  I worked for
about two years for Gerry Clancy, the fellow who chaired the IEEE
802.3 committee, in a tiny three-man company.  I got ALL the dirt on
that mess.  That's where I developed my distaste for ethernet...when I
learned how it really works.  It fits PeeCees very well...they're both
unbelievably stupid designs.

  Gates is malicious, and may well be the antichrist.  Metcalfe was just
a bit of an idiot.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire