[rescue] FDDI on eBay

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jan 17 16:20:38 CST 2002

On January 17, Loomis, Rip wrote:
> Actually, the box-o-*DDI is up to $135 already, and last-
> minute "acceleration" plus cables puts it more like $200+ --
> still probably a good deal though.  Am I reading it correctly
> that one of the items is a FDDI <-> Ethernet translator?
> What else is a
>   "*  1x FDDI Ethernet Switch"
> praytell?

  The "ethernet switch" in that auction is a Cisco WS-C1100 series
FDDI/CDDI concentrator, not an ethernet switch.  They're nice, but
have nothing to do with ethernet.  The seller is confused by the
presence of RJ45 connectors on the back of the box...this unit has one
FDDI board and one CDDI board.  There is no ethernet hardware in this
auction.

  FYI, a WS-C1200 box looks very much like the WS-C1100...but it is
indeed a Catalyst ethernet switch, with DAS FDDI or CDDI uplink
interface.  The ethernet ports are 10Mbps.  It's a "real" Catalyst,
and supports VLANs and SNMP and everything else that's cool.

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire