[rescue] octane question

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jan 17 14:04:58 CST 2002

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 02:41:53PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
>> Yeah, but if someone is protesting ethernet, what are they supposed to do
>> when they want faster than 100Mbps between a combination of Mac OS X boxes,
>> SGIs, and NetBSD running monstrous NFS servers, and Solaris running database
>> servers?
>
>   Faster than 100Mbps?  HIPPI or FC-AL.  At least there's some
> intelligence to the design!

I didn't know that you could use FC-AL for networking.  Hmm.  That could be
interesting.  Setup my file server to do routing, and have my main workstation
connected directly to it via FC-AL, plus FC-AL drive also...

Does anyone actually make HIPPI PCI cards?  Well, yep.  Apparently Esscom
does.

--
Joshua D. Boyd