Dynamic FDDI (was RE: [rescue] octane question)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 17 13:40:13 CST 2002

Hmm...someone edu-ma-cate me on something I've always
wondered:

Can FDDI (or any token-passing network method) support
dynamic config of newly-added nodes (ala DHCP?)  Not
that it's an absolute requirement--but my laptop surely
does love it.  And if FDDI can't support it, then could
someone explain why DHCP is not an asset?

(I think that the answer is that dual-connected FDDI is
perfect for high-reliability[0] networks whose configs
rarely change and not necessarily suited for networks
with transient devices--but I would love a real answer.)

  --Rip

[0]  I was going to say "high-uptime" but I was afraid
     that I would get the Wang, Wang, Wang, Wang, Wang,
     Wang, Wang, Wang, WONDERFUL WANG! thread started
     again.