[rescue] intro

Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Thu Jan 17 01:31:09 CST 2002

After looking at the archives I see this ain't just Sun talk.  Woot!  Well
here's what my dogpile looks like:

Approximately 50-60 PC's.  Most of them are inactive but working.  The
working ones include a dual celeron (Abit BP6 motherboard), a Duron 750, and
a handfull of first gen pentiums.

I've got between 60 to 80 Macs.  The nicest/newest ones are 5400/180 and
200MHz.  The oldest is a IIsi.  They came with the PC's.  So far I am
unimpressed.

On the PA-RISC side I've got a slow but perfectly operational (and new
looking) HP 9000 Model 712/100.  This is about as fast as a 150MHz Pentium
by the seatofthepantsometer.  Running HP-UX 11.0 currently but I have
another hard drive to slap in to try Linux on it (sounds like a worthy
challenge).

Only have one sun currently.  Ultra 5 model 333.  256MB RAM, 9GB hard disk.
Right now I'm testing a 16.8GB drive I salvaged to put into the Sun to try
OpenBSD on it.

Right now my wallet is thoroughly tapped.  But I would like to add more Sun
hardware to the heap.  Like a dual processor Ultra 2, and maybe some more
Ultra 5's.  They look real purty.

Most of the PC's and Macs were salvaged.  I'm going to experiment with some,
refurbish the rest & sell 'em off.  I'll probably keep two of the Macs (5400
Power Macs) as one of them is running LinuxPPC and the other is running
MacOS 9 so I can show a nice side by side comparison of how they run.  It
doesn't look good for Linux on this platform guys.

Most of this stuff came in pretty recently.  I've got enough ports here to
handle about 36 concurrent machines on the LAN (if you subtract the ports
needed for interconnection between switches & hubs).  About 7 ports are
usually hot all the time and I expect that number to go up to about 12 once
I finish wiring up this place.

My goal?  Well I'm waiting for some more companies to go belly up so I can
get a good deal on a pile of used Sun Ray 150's.  Put one in every room of
the house.  Since there are only two adults and one infant here I don't
think the lowly Ultra 5 will be straining TOO hard.  ;-)

"You flush it, I flaunt it."
    -Penguin