[rescue] CD-ROM drive for HP 9000/715

Mike Nicewonger twmaster at twmaster.com
Wed Jan 16 15:51:31 CST 2002

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, you wrote:
> In message <20020116142253.A17734 at dubrawsky.org>
> 	so spake Ido Dubrawsky (ido):
>
> > Can anyone tell me what CD-ROM drive(s) will work with an HP 9000/715-33?  I
> > want to install HP-UX 10.20 and I'd rather not have to setup Ignite-UX on
> > the other HP that I have.  I ask because I know that Sun's are picky as to
> > which drives they will boot off.
>
> You need a CD-ROM drive with a 512-byte boot block.  Many drives that
> will boot a Sun will also boot an HP (though the HPs seem pickier than
> the Suns).  Last I checked HP shipped Toshiba CD-ROM drives.

As todd pointed out the drives that will generally boot Sun/SGI should work.
The 1x caddy CD-ROM in 411 box from sun for some reason will not work. Most
Plextor drives will do the job. there are also some apple and panasonic drives
that work well too. HP shipped thier machines with Toshiba drives. Dunno if the
firmware is different or not.

Mike N