[rescue] Re: I hate keeping up...

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Tue Jan 15 21:08:25 CST 2002

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Scott Newell wrote:

> >area can be had for a relatively cheap price?  What's the most useful
> >yet affordable box out there?
>
> I find that SS2/IPX class machines are still useful, and they're almost free.

But they're almost a step back from a Classic. Okay, they are a step back
from a classic. I think he's trying to move *forward* in a cost effective
way from his Classic. :)

You can get a headless Ultra 1 for under $200 these days if you look hard
enough (someone on rescue at sunhelp had them... check the archives and maybe
ask him in private email if they're all gone), or for $300 buy-it-now in
auctions like
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1322775564 , and
kick your friend's SS5's butt all over the place. I'll have mine for sale
soon for reasons revealed in the next graf... Ultra 1 170E Creator3d with
second scsi/ethernet and DDS2 tape. Nice machine (was "only" $600 a year
and a half ago).

If you can find a PCI Ultra, you may find it to have a better future path
though. I just ordered a couple of Ultra 30s really cheap, and while they
max at 300MHz (mine have 250MHz CPUs), they will take up to 2gig of ram
and have a 64/66 PCI slot. Nice if I ever get a gigE card that works under
Solaris 8, or if I put my U2LVD160 card in there. Yummmmm.

There's an Ultra 60 at
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1322883676 which is
at $9.99 with 3 days to go. That's a nice one, but I suspect it will go
for a lot more. Might be worth a bid though if you like the conditions,
or at least a watch to see what it goes for.

--Rob
        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows