[rescue] Wang machines

Rick Hamell hamellr at heorot.1nova.com
Tue Jan 15 12:37:31 CST 2002

	I've got an old Wang machine sitting at home. In the furniture
vein, it's done duty as a coffee/end table. :)

	Does any one have a good site for identifying this thing? I had
hopes of hacking the case and filling it with a bunch of PC boards or
Older sparc machines and making it into a Beowulf cluster. I'd hate to
ruin something like this though.

	The machine has no part numbers that I can find. There are no
labels on the outside other then the word "Wang." It has a 5 1/4 inch 360k
floppy drive, a full size hard drive with again, no labels on it! There
are 5 system boards, each is about 4 ft sqaure and slips into it's own
rail. Examining the boards I believe that two are processors and the other
three are memory boards based off of chip numbers. :)

	Externally there are about a dozen BNC connections that are
numbered. I assume those are the terminal connections? (I think it may be
labeled that way.) The machine sounds like it boots up, and the hard drive
moves for several minutes then quiets down. Thanks in advance for any
pointers!

	Rick