[rescue] Re: Sparc Classic

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Jan 14 18:21:52 CST 2002

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Andrew Weiss wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Big Endian wrote:
>
> > Is a sparc classic fast enough to play MP3s?  Could it do it over NFS
> > w/ an X11 interface?  I'm thinking I should add MP3 capability to the
> >
> Trying to figure out what to do with that Classic X-term version?

Easiest thing to do is enter the 3-4 prom commands to turn it into a
non-xterm version and pretend it's a SPARCclassic. :)

They do make good mail servers, nameservers, even light web stuff. I ran
postfix+mailman+apache with bind on one for... two years now I think. All
that on one 1GB disk too.

Some coworkers at Sun used that form factor as monitor stands a coupla
years ago. Considering my Alphaserver 2000 will probably be an end table
when I get it home, I wouldn't discount the furniture value of older
workstations/servers :)

Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows