[rescue] CRD-5500 RAID Controller and UART/Monitor

Brian Dunbar brian_dunbar at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 14 19:13:15 CST 2002

I have a CRD-5500 RAID controller, installed in a disk array enclosure.

I want to be able to use the serial port (in the docs called a UART/Monitor
port) to change the RAID level (it's at RAID0 right now).

Attach a straight modem cable, launch TeraTerm on my laptop, boot the
enclosure, and the boot info from the array flashes across the terminal
window.  When the thing is done booting it displays 'press any key for the
menu' but it refuses to respond to keystrokes or any other input.

If you attach the serial cable and launch TeraTerm AFTER boot, nothing
displays in the screen.

It also behaves this way with a linux box w/ Minicom.

I'm told this unit worked fine at it's previous office, and they were able
to access the serial port/monitor with no problems.  I could put in service
at RAID0 .. the unit works fine.  I'm concerned .. the CRD-5500 forces you
to use the monitor for anything more complicated than shutdown and a (basic)
status check.

I'm stumped - not that that's hard to do.  Any ideas?

Brian Dunbar
Systems Administrator
Plexus PCB Design Group
(972) 381-8777 x210