[rescue] Trannies (was jobops in Austin and Dallas)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri Jan 11 17:49:30 CST 2002

> > Gated transmissions, or those of the type you normally find in
production
> > autos, are not easily adapted.
>
> Heh, talk to Citroen.  As usual, they did it "another way."  In their
case,
> moving the gear-change lever also actuated the clutch.  Being Citroen, it
> was all hydraulic, of course.

I believe it.  Leave it to Citroen to do it too :)

> Old-style US transmissions, the ones with external shifter forks, are very
> amenable to conversion to sequential shifting, there were kits to do that
in
> the 1960s.  All it takes is a fancy slot-cam and a way to move it.

You can still get them, and similar ones for auto transmissions.  Hurst
makes great shifters for on-the-floor autos - and it's normally easy to
adapt a console for column-shifters.  I had a buddy with a Dadge Dart that
had one - we were in highschool, the car made no power, but it shifted those
gears pretty damn fast!  I imagine that you could easily rig some spring or
microswitches to actuate the clutch when your car is taken out of gear -
seems easy in theory.  All you need is some plumbing and some switches, and
with a car with a hydraulicly actuated clutch to begin with, it would dead
simple...

Dead simple - famous last words?  I figured mounting a V-Twin engine in a
tube frame would be dead simple - until I started engineering the driveline.
I think I might use the engine from a Goldwing or a Valkyrie.  All the
pieces are already there!

Kurt