[rescue] OT: jobops in austin and dallas

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri Jan 11 13:29:34 CST 2002

> > note on the cluthless shifting.  i'm sure it's much harder on mine since
> > it is a racing clutch... i was so surprised when i drove my brother's
> > accord around at how the clutch was like butter.  very forgiving and
> > smooth.  i seem to have a binary cluth
>
> In which case, what is the point of having a standard versus a racing auto
with
> steering wheel paddles?

I've found that the true racing auto's (which really aren't auto) are more
standard than auto.  I mounted an air shifter on a friend's custom H-D
Sportster, and basically all it does is quickly disengage and engage the
clutch as the gears are shifted.  In sequential transmissions, like you see
in on motorcycles and touring-car-racers (think speedvision series,
Australian super-touring) it's very easy to rig either air or solenoid
actuated clutches.

Gated transmissions, or those of the type you normally find in production
autos, are not easily adapted.

Esentially, what you get, is a transmission that gives you the power
delivery capabilities of a standard transmission - with the convenience of
not having to use a clutch, even under hard accelleration.

Most of these, though, require that you shift into neutral or dis-engage the
clutch when not moving.

Some auto transmissions can be modified with kits to make them act as
sequential transmissions.  My truck, with a minor tweak, has increased line
pressure and quicker engaement of gears - there are also shift kits that do
this and way more.

Kurt