[rescue] OT: jobops in austin and dallas

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri Jan 11 09:56:49 CST 2002

> after several years of a standard i _still_ can't perfect the cluth-less
> gear shifting.

practice, practice, practice - though if you've got a full-race
transmission, you might not want to.  It is *very* easy to destroy gears and
sychronizers if you do it wrong.

At one point I was so good that I could go drive around all day with no
clutch - that was 5 yrs ago and I owned a Volkswagen Rabbit Diesel - that
thing had so much torque it would "Just Go" when put in gear.

I've gotten back in to practice, using the PT Cruiser.  I can go all day
with only minimal clutch - really only using it at full stops and hard
accelleration.  Even under hard accelleration, partial clutching is really
easy - just tapping the clutch lets it slip into gear - even at 5000 RPM
shift-point.

The PT Cruiser is going to become a toy in a few years when I buy Karin her
Durango.  I've seen a Hemi-powered PT Cruiser once - that thing had an
*obscene* amount of power.  Talk about humping cars...

Kurt