[rescue] OT: jobops in austin and dallas

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jan 11 07:05:02 CST 2002

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 01:03:37AM -0500, George Adkins wrote:
> it's a matter of  acclimation.  if you learn to do it on the highway, you can
> do it on the highway;  If you learn to do it driving around grocery store
> parking lots, you will have to re-learn it to some extent do do it on the
> highway.
>
> Part of many people's problem with doing it is that people habitually drive
> around at low RPM.  cruising at 1500-3000 rpm is fine in terms of fuel
> economy, but you get the best performance at higher rev's.
>
> When my uncle (Sam) sent me to a series of high intensity / adverse
> conditions / performance driving courses, I learned a lot of interesting
> things.  The idea of in-town driving at 3000 - 5000 RPM in 2nd and 3rd gear
> was a little difficult to get used to, the engine noise is disconcerting and
> the fuel economy sucks.  On the other hand, when the rubber meets the road
> (so to speak) that is the zone where you have the most control over the
> vehicle's behavior.  (and puttin some serious wear on the car...)

The Uncle Sam, or just an uncle who happens to be named Sam?

In my opinion, in town driving should be just avoided in standards.  All that
accelerating only to instantly come to a stop again is annoying as heck.  They
just need to build cars designed for sustaining those RPMs.   Rumor is that
Wankels and VW engines are such, but I don't entirely trust the people who
tried spreading the VW rumors.

--
Joshua D. Boyd