[rescue] WTB: small cheap laptop

Monty Walls mwalls at castor.oktax.state.ok.us
Thu Jan 10 11:13:52 CST 2002

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:21:05 -0600
Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> Looking for a small cheap laptop that I can turn into a
> 802.11b wireless access point.  The Dell deal on the WAP11s
> ran out (the coupon code doesent work), so I'm just gonna save
> about $60 and get a standard silver card from justdeals, and
> throw that in a laptop...
>
> Bill

Depending on space considerations you might look at one of the
small toaster nlx/lpx desktops (I picked up a IBM L40 pizza box for
40$ that I use for a similar function wireless+firewall+mail server).
You would just need a PCMCIA/PCI wireless adapter.

Also what kind of security are you going to run on your wire-less link?
You might consider doing IPSEC instead of the wireless stuff.

--
-Monty Walls (mwalls at castor.oktax.state.ok.us)
-	MIS, Oklahoma Tax Commission