[rescue] 3630 3645

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Jan 9 15:01:47 CST 2002

On 2002.01.09 20:19 "Fogg, James" wrote:

> Dude, this is an hour from me. I would be interested in a look-see.
> So, ah... what does a Symbolics run for O/S?
Genera, a LISP system. Everything on a Symbolics is done in LISP. The
weired thing about this machines is: They interpret LISP bytecode in
_hardware_. The CPUs of this machines are huge bit slice CPUs. They are
absolutely dumb at power on. They get "smart" after the they are feed
with microcode by the front end processor. I know someone here in
Germany/Kaiserslautern who has several Symbolics machines of all age,
including a bunch of 364[05]. Whe were working on one 3645 to get it
running and reinstall the OS...

These machines are really the most weird computers I ever saw. Have a
look at:
http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~moeller/symbolics-info/symbolics.html

Rescue this machines. Please. ;-)
--