[rescue] IPC Hell

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Jan 9 09:33:58 CST 2002

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 11:22:14AM -0500, Linc Fessenden wrote:

> 2) After finally getting the install script to work
You are using the install programm? Wimp! ;-)

> I keep getting errors
> while trying to untar the base set like:
> pax: Unable to create ./usr/share/(whatever) <No such file or directory>
>
> Now I have gotten this on 2 different cdroms, and now on the FTP install
> as well.  Is my HDD munged?
If the HD is bad, you normally get disk IO errors from the kernel.
I would say that you have a buggy install programm. This is a usual
error, as this programm is used by nearly nobody. ;-)
Reboot the machine, exit the install system and do the disklabel, newfs,
mount, tar/pax, installboot, ... vi /etc/... stuff by hand.
Feel free to ask me if you encounter speciffic problems during this
procedure.
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen