[rescue] Re: OT Linux

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jan 8 11:52:58 CST 2002

On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 10:15:22AM -0800, David Passmore wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 01:07:27PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >   NFS under Linux and SunOS4 is pretty painful, but I've had good
> > results with it on a bunch of other platforms.  The NFS implementation
> > as a whole under Linux is just generally crappy, and SunOS4's
> > rpc.mountd is chock full o' bugs.  I've never had NFS under NetBSD
> > even so much as burp, and I use it every day.

> FYI, the mount options I use mounting from Solaris to Linux (and the only
> ones that seem to work properly) are:
>
> rsize=32768,wsize=32768,tcp
>
> If you don't use tcp, it will freeze up on large transfers, period.

If I tried that rsize and wsize, it would seize up.  I have to pin my wsizes
and to a lesser extent rsizes to 1500 or the who thing freezes up, for udp at
least. The problem is with my 3com lanplex 2500 probably a configuration issue,
but frankly I just don't understand it well enough to sort out.  Maybe using
tcp would fix it for larger sizes though.  I shall have to try that tomorrow
(don't expect to spend more than a few minutes on my home machines tonight).

--
Joshua D. Boyd