[rescue] Alphastation. With link this time, thanks

Jochen Kunz rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 8 03:44:43 CST 2002

On 2002.01.07 22:45 dave venable wrote:

> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1318155727
> Is this a worth while machine?
The AS200 (have one) is a nice, small, PeeCee-ish Alpha.

> An equivlant Sun would cost twice that. Ultra 1,170.......
SS5/85. Really. This machine has a 21064 with only 100MHz. That is maybe
the slowest Alpha chip you can get. You will need a 21064 with 233MHz
and up to get the power of a U1/170.
Suns are more expensive then Alphas. Last autumn I decided to by a "new"
workstation. I looked for Sun UltraSPARC machines like the Ultra 2 or
Ultra 30, SGI "big" Indigo2 or "small" Octane and Alphas. I found that I
get more computing power and the same graphics performance with an
Alpha* for half the price of a Sun or SGI.

*I finaly purchased a PWS 500au with PowerStorm 4D50T graphics for
around 500 Euro.
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen