[rescue] OpenBSD/sparc (waypoint) (console)

Joshua Johnston rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 7 20:12:26 CST 2002

Login:

Yep, I got it running. A mere three days after acquisition, my Sparc
Classic (24M, 540M) is up and running at home on my LAN.  I'd like to
thank everyone here for the help I received, and may indeed take up a
few offers on equipment once I get my cash situation straightened out.

But as a few notes about the installation, I do have some observations
on the process.

First, digging up the proper settings to connect on console was rough.
It took me a good hour and a half to find out that I needed to use
9600/N81.  I could have tinkered that out quicker than the search took,
that's something I hope to correct when I build up my next website,
which will include restoration information on the Classic and any future
gear I happen to get my hands on.  (Donations welcome)

Second, finding boot disks took hours.  Eventually, I was able to get a
link to the ftp.openbsd.com site, and use rawrite to make a copy of the
boot floppy using the floppy30.fs file for Sparc gear.  The problem was
that sites were quite hard to get connected to.  Several servers lagged
out, whether due to my connection at school or the server itself, I
can't say.

And that's pretty much it.  Everything went quite smoothly once I
reinstalled the OS, and it's up and running here in my room now.
Unfortunately it took -ages- to generate the SSH keys, but hey, what am
I supposed to expect from a Classic, right? :)

I'll stick around the list, see if I can help anyone else out as time
goes on.  Also, is there an IRC server that people from the list often
frequent that might cater to old Sparc owners?

- Josh

[demime 0.99c.1 removed an attachment of type application/x-pkcs7-signature which had a name of smime.p7s]