[rescue] how much bigger in Texas

William Enestvedt rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 7 15:12:47 CST 2002

> [A roach] was -->                              <-- long
> and -->             <--fat

   May I say p'shaw?
   I worked on the paper when I was in college [Go Tufts Daily! The smallest
school in the country with a daily paper! Yee-hah!] [I transferred, BTW, to
a D-I school: tailgating beats...well, being in Medford, MA, I guess]. We
constantly battled with the Forces of Environmentalism: they laid on us the
burden of collecting and recycling our papers (apart from the school's own
recycling program) so we just, um, stacked them in a damp basement hallway
that overlooked the train tracks. The roaches who lived in that hallway were
never seen -- only heard -- until the day that someone changed the bottle on
the water cooler...and we found two empty bodies smushed down into the
opening where water flows out of the bottle neck, down to the tap.
   The little husks, about the size and shape of a flattened roll of
quarters, had emptied themselves out, a organ or limb at a time, into our
coffee cups over the preceeding weeks. I can't recall how long it took for
the screaming to stop echoing across Medford but my ears were still ringing
when I left around midnight. I didn't care much because I only drank
Mountain Dew at the time, but there were a lot of people that turned a
whiter shade of pale that night, I can tell you.
  Oh, sorry -- were you eating?
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt