[rescue] RE: Sparc Classic Resurrection for Newbie

Jeff Borisch rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jan 6 16:27:32 CST 2002

Hi Josh,
>> (CD drives)

I've used CD drives that I did not think were capable of 512 block sizes to
install from. I just used OpenBSDs install floppy for booting. I believe you
can use almost any SCSI CD rom to install from, you just can't use it to
boot from.

>> I also have a question about the serial port on the Sparc.

I've used the lap link cable too, with great success with PCs and a simple
Null modem cable with macs. Personally I prefer the Macintosh/zTerm
combination but that is just my personal preference based on the layout of
"the lab".

>> And here it is, hopefully the last question I'll have before I get the
>> Sparc install process rolling... Is there anyplace I can get a 100Mbit
>> network adapter?

Not to discourage this activity, but I have found the 10Mbit to be just fine
in a learning/play-toy environment. What are you going to use the machine
for? What kind of network are you running? Hub? Switch?

(Aside) Do switches by their nature isolate 10Mbit and 100Mbit traffic? Or
is this only a feature of higher end switches?

I'm a newbie too, but here are some sites that really helped me in my sparc
teeth cutting days.

Serial Port hoo-ha
http://www.stokely.com/unix.serial.port.resources/A-B-Ycablepinout.html
http://www.obsolyte.com/sunFAQ/serial/

General neat info
http://www.obsolyte.com/

OpenBoot info
(what you really mean when you talk about the Sun's "BIOS")
http://www.unil.ch:8888/ab2/coll.216.1/OPENBOOTCMDREF/@Ab2TocView?

And of course Sunhelp!

--jeff