[rescue] Re: Sparc Classic Resurrection for Newbie

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jan 6 06:44:53 CST 2002

On 6 Jan 2002, Iggy Drougge wrote:

> Ken Hansen skrev:
>
> >Download an OS - Solaris is nice, but unless you find more RAM, it's not
> >really an option. You could try OpenBSD|NetBSD|Linux - it is pretty
> >trivial to download a .iso file and burn a bootable CD.
>
> The CD stage is quite unnecessary on the *BSDs. I've never installed a BSD
> (and I've done that quite a lot of times) over anything but network.

Unnecessary is subjective, you know...

In my case, depending on time of day it may be faster to install from a 2x
CD than from the net, or vice versa. Imagine if you will someone with a
5mbps pipe at work (30MB/minute downloads of ISO images) and a nice cd
burner and a short commute to home, where he has an overloaded 384kbps dsl
line that runs 80% of capacity at night when he's around. And if there's
just a dialup at home, it's even more obvious if you're doing a full
install.

I like to keep ISO images and burned CDs around just in case. In fact, I
think I have an envelope of netBSD install discs here in case I decide to
pull a VAXstation (or something else) out of storage on a whim one
sleepless cold-medicine- riddled night and set it up :)

Don't get me wrong... I do like net installs from a boot floppy (did my
last couple of Debians that way, and the occasional FreeBSD install too).
But they aren't always practical or good for one's patience.

--Rob (off to swap meet, whee)

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows