[rescue] how to use a NAT/PAT to forward SSH to an internalbox

George Adkins rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Jan 5 21:05:06 CST 2002

> As far as I can tell, that's the show stopper. I don't see that the ssh
> request carries the requested server hostname in it anywhere.

Right, perhaps a startup script which would send that data to the "other
program"

> the "other program" listening on
> port 22 on the firewall could pick the requested server hostname out of
> the packet and behave like a proxy and send the request to the
> appropriate inside machine.

or it could look up the private address and establish a portmap between:
1.  a port in a designated range of available ports > 1024 and
2.  port 22 on the destination machine
and then report that port# back to the initiating script which could pass it
to the ssh session when it starts it up.

Yes, in the same way that  http://  virtual servers work.