[rescue] Sparc Classic Resurrection for Newbie

Linc Fessenden rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Jan 5 16:39:09 CST 2002

> 	What I'm looking for now is information on where I can download
> a relatively small version of an OS that will run on the Sparc, and how
> on Earth I can find a way to get it onto the box.  I'm going to get a
> gender-bender so I can connect via console port with my PC or my Quadra
> tonight, and will be looking at getting into the BIOS if I can figure
> out how to send the Stop key without having a Sun keyboard.  It seems
> though that a lot of the information I've been able to find sorting
> through hits on Google is rather dated, and many sites and reference
> links are no longer working.

You want to install NetBSD on that Sparc.  You can have a fine running
install in just over 40 megs or so, and it runs very nicely on older sparc
hardware.  As for getting the OS on the drive, an external scsi cdrom
drive will work provided it does 512 byte sectors.  NetBSD offers
downloadable bootable sparc ISO's off their website at www.netbsd.org....
Alternatively you can get an older SunOS on cd somewhere I am sure and
also Linux runs on it as well and can be gotten on a bootable cd.
Without a keyboard, the sparc should default into using a serial console,
so that shouldn't be a problem either.

-Linc Fessenden