[rescue] how to use a NAT/PAT to forward SSH to an internal box

George Adkins rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Jan 5 01:09:38 CST 2002

> > Subject: Re: [rescue] an idea...
> > > Something similar could be accomplished by just fowarding various ports
> > > on a NAT box to port 22 on the correct box.  That's what I do.
> >
> > okay, so... how do I ssh to one of these boxes from the outside using
> > only a hostname?
>
> If you want to SSH to the firewall, and also to some internal box at the
> same time, using just a hostname, then you'll need two IP addresses on
> the firewall's external interface.

Yes, I already know how to do these things, but that's not what this
discussion is about.

The intent here is to provide a _transparent_ method to access hosts on a
remote RFC1918 network via SSH by hostname alone, without using additional
live IP's or non-standard ports.

I want any user anywhere to be able to type:
rubicon# ssh user at ballocks.webbastard.org
and get through to a machine with an IP address of 172.31.110.24

George