[rescue] Re: Re: Semi-OT: AlphaServer rescue question

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 4 19:07:21 CST 2002

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Eric Dittman wrote:

> > Turns out this guy is an AlphaServer 2000 model 4/200 with a pair of CPUs
> > (233MHz I think), 128MB of RAM (32 4MB 72pin simms) and an internal
> > Storageworks array of 1 2GB and 6 4GB disks.
> > I'm installing FreeBSD 4.4 now (it's doing ports, whee).
>
> And when you're ready to really use the hardware, make sure you get
> an Encompass ID so you can get an OpenVMS Hobbyist license and install
> OpenVMS.  :-)

I've thought about it... think I'd prefer Tru64 though.

Further detail... the OS installed (4.4 FreeBSD from the downloadable ISO)
without incident, but now when it boots I get "insufficient dynamic
memory" after the loader, and it zooms on through some dumps.

Trying to decide whether to install a different OS (I have NT here, and
could probably grab a NetBSD install image as well), or maybe even Debian
Linux. I've got six more disks I could install OSes onto, after all :) I'd
like to keep FreeBSD but my patience is worn down by impending illness and
impending weekendness today.

--Rob
        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows