[rescue] Re: Semi-OT: AlphaServer rescue question

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 4 17:38:15 CST 2002

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Robert Novak wrote:

> I'm trying to track down what a 455ND-A9 AlphaServer might be. It looks to
> be an AlphaServer 2000 of unknown content... pondering bidding on it in a
> local auction just for the risk of getting a quad Alpha. It might beat my
> tri-SM81 SS1000 and hold more internal storage too. :)

Turns out this guy is an AlphaServer 2000 model 4/200 with a pair of CPUs
(233MHz I think), 128MB of RAM (32 4MB 72pin simms) and an internal
Storageworks array of 1 2GB and 6 4GB disks.

I won it in the auction and brought it in to work, and after some
frustration found that there's a safety interlock that would be tripped by
the (missing) front panel cover. It boots now, at least to the console
prompt... I'm installing FreeBSD 4.4 now (it's doing ports, whee).

Now to pick a hostname. Hmmm.

--Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows