[rescue] SSA (Help Please)

Peter Nyhan rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 3 22:06:58 CST 2002

(Kind of long, I am rather new to fibre channel, and the technologies)

Hello,

I am new to the list, and have gone through the archives to try and answer
some of my questions, but ended up with more as a result. I just recently
acquired an SSA 100 from a "dot-com failure" it is complete with all the
hard drive trays, and seems to post correctly.

Now my first question, based on what I have found in the archives, the array
cannot recognize more than 8.4gb on a single drive. So I would be in the
ring to purchase some 9.1gb hard drives, correct?

Second, upon my searching the net, I was able to find this:
http://sunsolve.sun.com/data/801/801-2206/pdf/ this seems to be the white
papers on the unit, would someone please verify this for me? As in it, it
states that the fibre channel array uses 80pin SCSI connectors for the
backplane. I thought fibre channel used 40 pin FC-AL connectors. Will
someone point me in the right direction?

Lastly, as a final request, in my search to build a large storage device, I
am using a QLogic 2100F fibre channel HBA connected to my Windows 2000
Professional computer. Will I be able to connect this storage unit (SSA 100)
to my network consisting of: Windows 2000 Professional x 2, FreeBSD server x
1, and Windows 98SE x 3?

Thank you for your time and knowledge,
PNyhan A+ N+ CCNA CCDA